Monday, September 12, 2011

New Stuff: Our house

I'm trying to get down our daily life right now, so I figured the house is a good place to start.  We live upstairs, all the way to the left.  It's an end apartment which is nice because there's just a little more space and we don't have to worry about a 3rd neighbor, especially with kids.  :)  When I say "little" I mean just that, though.  Maybe an extra foot wider or something. lol, the small things don't go unlooked these days!  It's a 2 bed/1 bath apt, probably like 500 sq feet or something.  It's pretty small.  We have a microwave, gas oven/stove (no pilot light, though, so we have a nice supply of matches to turn it on!), and refrigerator/freezer in the kitchen.  We have no dishwasher a FANTASTIC dishwasher, brand "Doit Yerself."  It really gets the job done.  

 Below is the street to get to our house.  It's off the main road, right by the bus for D to take to school.  It's bumpy. Very very.  And also not much space for 2 cars to get through, but if you squeeze enough you just may avoid hitting each other's side mirrors.  So far we still have all parts of our car in tact.  We have a little 1990something Suzuki Escudo SUV.  There's technically only 2 seats in the back, no middle seat, so with Hudson's carseat in there, Cayden and Addie usually have to get cozy.  Seat belt laws here are different, you don't have to wear them if your in the back seat, and I don't believe carseats are even required at all.
 This is our dryer.  There is one down in the laundry room, but it's $3 US a load.  The wind is free.  I'll take the inconvenience since I do at least 5 loads a week.  I took a picture of our laundry this day in particular because of the sky behind it.  I don't think it was the best time to put up wet clothes to get dry when the sky was this dark (hard to see well in the pictures, though).  And whoever came up with "Fresh Linen" scent or the smells-like-fresh-ocean-breeze-when-you-line-dry had some serious sinus sensory issues.  Our laundry does NOT smell good after it's dry.  Even if I use fabric softener.  The air is just not THAT fresh!  People here have small fires to burn stuff all the time, so the laundry will sometimes smell like smoke.  But, it's free.  I'm not complaining. :)

 Here's Hudson playing out front.  We usually go out each night after dinner and all the kids in the complex play together.  5 of the 8 apartments in this complex are LDS families, so we all know each other from church aside from school.  3 of the apartments have kids about the same age as mine.  It's nice to have friends so close!  The parking lot (or Car Park as they call them here) is sloped down, so we have lots of running-down-the-hill crashes by the kids.  Hudson's so tough, he falls all the time, lays there for a second, then says, "Hop up!" and gets up to keep playing.  He's had a few good falls with stairs, blood, and big bruises, but I'm really impressed with his toughness!  He loves playing outside, but will tell me when he's done and will want to go inside...maybe because he's dripping sweat.  No, not even dripping, he's just plain slimy.  Sweat slimy.  I wonder how he'd have done in Arizona with less humidity...
 Here's two of our friends from the complex.  Kody and Allie.  I don't think the other kids came out that night when I had my camera.  I'm sure we'll get them all in eventually, though.  These 2 are pro's at living in Grenada.  They've been here almost 2 years now and they go back to the states next May.  We're learning a lot from our friends here!
 We knew how to do this already, though. :)

1 comment:

Reece said...

hahaha, I love it!! Welcome to Grenada Whipples! We're so glad that you guys are such great neighbors and new friends! Your pictures remind me that I need to be taking more pics of everyday life here in Grenada.